Serenity in motion

10 Feb

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I spent an evening at a couple of casinos at Tunica, Miss. I’ve never been a fan of casinos — the energy is wrong.

Tension that pierces the nerves like glass needles, over-the-top emotions, desperation, despair … that even more than the gloomy haze of cigarette smoke tightens my chest and steals my calm, my breath. And I just know some of the glassy-eyed people slumped at the slot machines had slipped way, their spirits lost in some soulless triple-line exchange. Made me wonder if there was a body detail lurking behind some door, waiting to slip in and scoop up the dead losers while the ones still breathing were distracted by a frantically wild craps shoot.

Many might consider the drive back to Little Rock through the winter-bare Delta to be a bleaker experience, but that’s where the beauty lives, the energy feels right, I’m able to focus and breathe, recapture calm.

Setting things right were sweet moments of serenity in motion like this on Hwy. 70 near Brinkley, where we happened upon a flock of geese resting in a flooded field.

What casinos?

Catching a breath

Serenity in motion

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Serenity in motion”

1. Goss Coaching February 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Happy to see you blogging!

• Rhonda February 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Thanks, Hanna! I’m starting to coalescence the new elements of my life with the old.

2. Jan February 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

You said it, sister — beautifully, in words and pictures.Give me the geese over a casino any day. Do you think that’s the introvert in us, or just a sensitivity to desperation and disappointment?

Glad to see you’re back! Missed these lovely posts.

• Rhonda February 13, 2012 at 8:58 am #

I think it’s a little of both, actually. And I’ve always been sensitive to the energy of places, people and things, which I believe is a facet of my introverted nature.
      Thank you for reading! I’m going to be more diligent about writing. I’m getting used to being in love (which is good!) so perhaps I won’t be quite as distracted as I have been.

3. Laura February 11, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Love this. I can feel the stress in the casino part and the calm in the drive part. Also love the word “boyfriend.”

• Rhonda February 13, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Thank you so much!

4. Donna McGowan February 13, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Happy to read your writing again! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

5. Amanda Cabot February 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

I’ll take the geese over the casinos any day. What beauty!